Sunday, May 3, 2009

Affirmations for Anxiety and Worry

An affirmation is simply any positive statement that you say to yourself. Repeating these statements can help facilitate reprogramming your brain away from automatically going to and accepting negative thoughts. Affirmations are something that you use when you aren't especially anxious. Coping statements can be very similar, but are used more when you are especially anxious. Read through the list below and see if any seem to be a good fit or even where you would like to get to. If saying “I'm safe” is something you can't believe at this time, change the statement to “I'm working toward accepting the reality that I'm safe.” Better yet, for all of these statements, change the wording that may better fit YOU! Better still, write your own!

There are a number of ways to practice affirmations. Practice is the key. The more you practice, whether writing them out, saying them to yourself or out loud, the more you will benefit. Best to practice throughout the day. For further suggestions go to http://ezinearticles.com/?Anxiety-Help---Power-Of-Affirmations&id=578024


I am safe

I let go of my “What If” thoughts.

I find it easier and easier to let go of my “What Ifs.”

I accept that Life = Uncertainty.

I find it easier and easier to breath through my anxious feelings.

I let go of all the things of which I have no control.

I fear not.

I find it easier and easier to let go of the worries that come to my mind

My symptoms are nothing more than a false alarm.

I refuse to let finances (or whatever...) determine my state of mind.

I trust in God. (If you don't, ignore this one)

Best wishes,
Mike

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Useful post on Affirmations.

Thanks,
karim - Positive thinking

Mike Miller, PhD said...

Thank you Karim.

Mike

Mike Miller, PhD said...

THANKS for your comments Mano. Over a year ago, I started an eLetter - Peace of Mind. I have been negligent in putting those articles on the blog. You can get a sample at http://drmikemiller.com/eletter.html or sign up for it at the home page of http://drmikemiller.com

It is free and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Blog Directory